Monday, August 10, 2009

Cruises Update

I thought I'd give an update on the summer so far before we do our two week cruise to Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod and (hopefully) Nantucket.
I did a one-week cruise with other boats from the Waterbury Power Squadron in July and didn't have any adventures except for spending two nights in Cuttyhunk (Elizabeth Islands, Cape Cod) on a $40 per night mooring due to very bad weather. In a week I got two hours of sailing in.
Typical.
The photo is of the people on the cruise at Point Judith Pond, Rhode Island.
In August we had a get-together in Port Jefferson, Long Island, NY and I took the boat there myself (as usual). Tough being retired. Carol met me there by ferry for the day. Two days to get there and two days back for a few hours hanging out with the squadron. Got some sailing in, however. 2 1/2 hours on Thursday. 2 1/2 hours on Friday. 3 hours on Sunday.
The video is part of my sail on Friday, 7 August.
I did have an adventure on my return trip. A few miles out of Mattituck, NY I started the starboard engine and a belt that drives the raw water pump (a key engine cooling component) broke. No cooling equals no engine. I had to shut down the engine and go into a long narrow creek with only one engine. Fortunately no incidents occured. It only took a little time (maybe an hour) working over a very hot engine to replace the belt. What fun!!!!
Watch the video to get a little idea of what sailing on Infinite Improbability is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment